- More than 15 years of multi-vendor network design, deployment, security, and management experience.
- Extensive hands-on knowledge of a wide range of technologies, tools, and protocols.
- Adept at solving business needs by utilizing and integrating best practices and leading edge technologies.
- Dakota State University
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, minors in Mathematics and Information Systems.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco: 15454 and ROADM Implementation
- Nortel: Passport 8600 Switching and Management
- F5 Networks: Big-IP Essentials and Deployment
- Global Knowledge Network: ATM Internetworking
- Network Associates: ATM Network Analysis and Troubleshooting
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Microsoft: Windows 2000 Infrastructure and Implementation, Active Directory Administration and Maintenance
- NU-Telecom -
Sr Network Analyst - February 2009 - Present
- Built and maintain a 1300 mile statewide 10Gbps Ethernet and OC48 Cisco-based MPLS Transport Backbone.
- Created and support MPEG4 IPTV and BGP routed Internet feeds.
- Microsoft Media Room design, implementation, and support.
- Maintained and upgraded DOCSIS platforms and deployed VoIP services.
- Manage vendor relationships, perform product evaluations, and manage project budgets.
- Hutchinson Technology -
Network Analyst - February 1999 - 2009
- Provide networking diagnostic and troubleshooting services for internal and external customers in the US, Europe, and Asia.
- Lead the team that designed and implemented the migration from IBM ATM and Token Ring networks to Gigabit Ethernet and Nortel Layer 3 Switched networks over the course of several years.
- Design physical and virtual networks for both the world-wide 8500 node corporate network and small embedded manufacturing networks.
- Responsible for Cisco WAN Routers, migrated from single links using RIP to a mesh of DS1 links using OSPF, and later a fractional DS3 MPLS cloud using BGP and Riverbed Steelhead WAN accelerators.
- Responsible for IP address and subnet allocation and maintenance.
- Worked on team that designed and implemented F5 BigIP Load Balancers for use with in-house web and database applications.
- Lead team that designed and implemented Juniper Netscreen ISG Firewall platforms with integrated IDP modules. The system utilized the high-availability clustering features and Juniper NSM platform for monitoring, logging, and maintenance.
- Manage vendor relationships, perform product evaluations, and manage project budgets - including several in the million-dollar range.
- Create network documentation, write white papers and roadmaps on network direction, and provide consultation to other teams on network standards and technologies.
- Worked on team that deployed a voice over IP (VoIP) pilot, including voice over WLAN and WAN links.
- Built and maintain an in-house network management system that uses Linux and open source tools to collect SNMP traps, syslogs, configuration data, and microcode monitoring. Systems also graph traffic volumes, application latency, server statistics, and environmental conditions.
- Worked as part of the Windows 2000 migration team with a focus on infrastructure services.
- Provided other staff with weekly hour-long training sessions on TCP/IP. Topics included network principles, communication layers, addressing and subnetting, routing and ICMP, TCP and UDP, DHCP, WINS and DNS, multicasting, SNMP, and security.
- Martin Group -
Network Specialist - May 1996 to February 1999
- Provided technology consulting and support services to independent telephone companies nationwide.
- Responsible for operations of the company's LAN and WAN, including it's FDDI backbone, switched Ethernet networks, and point-to-point T1s.
- Responsible for Cisco network routers and creation of client timeshare connections using 56K and T1 links.
- Laid the groundwork for the corporate Intranet and Internet connection utilizing Microsoft Internet Information Server and Microsoft Proxy Server.
- Was in charge of installing and maintaining the hardware and software systems that poll toll data from client phone switches using X.25, Bisync, or HDLC.
- Was in charge of installing and maintaining the hardware and software systems that client companies used for outside plant CAD mapping and documentation.
- Provided client and in-house technical support for a variety of hardware and software including DEC VMS on both Vax and Alpha systems.
- State of South Dakota
Network Services Group - Computer Specialist - May 1995 to May 1996
- Maintained South Dakota's IIS Web Server and created web content for state agencies.
- Administered and upgraded several FreeBSD UNIX systems.
- Created EMail listservs for state agencies using Majordomo.
- Maintained DNS and SMTP servers for the state.sd.us domain.
- Setup the UseNet server for state government using InterNetNews (INN).
- Created Perl CGI scripts for mail forms, guest books, and database searches.
- Dakota State University Computing Services -
Repair Technician / Programmer - May 1993 to December 1996
- Co-Creator of DSU's World Wide Web site in early 1993 - was one of the first web sites ever created.
- Diagnosed and solved all manner of hardware and software problems; trained staff, faculty, and students.
- Help maintain DSU's campus-wide network utilizing Token Ring and Ethernet hardware with Novel Netware servers.
- Created an inventory database of 2000+ network objects and maintained network documentation using Visio.
- Setup hardware and software for DSU's parallel processing lab, running FreeBSD Unix and PVM.
- Heart of Minnesota Animal Shelter -
Volunteer and Board Member - 2003 to present
- President of the Board of Directors
- Member of numerous committees including Building Expansion, Animal Care, and Animal Disposition.
- Perform basic medical evaluations and procedures.
Basic Animal Rescue Training with the local fire department.
- Active in animal adoption counseling, volunteer training,
and fundraising efforts.